WhatStorage sees $334k worth of FREE monthly organic traffic.
Ranking at the top for over 300 towns and cities across the U.K.
Design, SEO, Link Building
WE DELIVER POSITIVE RESULTS
Increase in Organic Traffic
0 > 30k
Top 3 City Rankings
Increase in Monthly Leads
WhatStorage is a Self Storage comparison website in the UK, they generate leads for their providers by helping their users find the best storage unit near them.
We started working with them since their launch in the middle of 2018. Billion-dollar companies such as Big Yellow and Safestore and an existing storage comparison website occupied the top spots.
The keywords were fairly competitive on Adwords, ranging from $15-40 per click, and with nationwide visibility required, SEO was the only traffic channel option feasible within the marketing budget.
The goal was to rank WhatStorage, a brand new website, at the top of the search results in every significant Town/City in the UK, unseating the established national storage companies from their hold of the top 3 Google ranking spots.
Marvin and his team were crucial to the success of WhatStorage's launch. Within just months, our website was able to dominate the search results pages, ranking at the top for every town and city across the UK. Because of the boost in organic traffic, our website was able to generate more leads for our partners.
- For WhatStorage to generate leads for their providers across the UK, they would need a landing page for every major town/city in the country to target those potential customers looking for storage.
We wanted to create location landing pages and optimise them for User Experience, Conversions and SEO.
- It would be challenging to build backlinks to all of the hundreds of landing pages. We had to make sure that the website architecture was optimised for maximum flow of link equity between each of the landing pages so that all landing pages would benefit whichever page we built the link to.
- This was a brand-new website with ZERO DA (domain authority), we wanted to build the DA quickly by building high-quality backlinks to the site at scale without triggering a sandbox penalty.
To achieve this, we needed to make the links profile as natural and contextual as possible, while building brand signals through social media, reviews, directories and PR.
- The websites dominating the top 3 positions in the Search Results for the main search terms such as "self storage london" had much higher DA and backlinks.
We needed a way to overcome that deficit in the short-term without trying to equal their quantity of backlinks or trying to equal their domain authority.
- The website contained thousands of pages with a complex build which connected to various API's, and so we needed to make sure that the site was free of technical errors that could hinder the SEO campaign.
The technical audit checklist includes; mobile responsiveness, page speed, crawlable content, correct indexing and canonical tags. Poor indexing and technical issues can dilute the overall quality score of the website, which can hinder its rankings.
- Technical SEO - We designed the website architecture to allow for a maximum flow of link equity between the landing pages by creating a good Silo structure through breadcrumbs and internal linking. We also went with a flat URL structure to bring the location page keywords further to the left.
We made sure that Google's web crawlers could crawl the website easily by auditing the 404 pages, redirects, internal links, canonical URLs, robots.tx files and sitemaps.
We also made sure to set the correct canonical and noindex tags to pages which could have cannibalised the target keywords and nofollow any links to pages where we didn't want to receive any link equity.
As the website was using Google Maps API to load the details of the facilities on the search results page, we placed extra emphasis on ensuring that the load speed was acceptable in order to reduce the bounce rate and any potential ranking penalty.
- UX - We designed the User Journey and User Interface of the website through a series of live User Tests and observation of user behaviour on the website with Hotjar and Google Analytics.
We designed every page to convert the user into calling the facility, book a storage unit or make an enquiry. Designs were done for Desktop and Mobile.
- Onpage Optimisation - We created over 400 landing pages for every significant Town/City in the UK. We used a variety of tools to check the exact onpage data of the competitors for those keywords and modelled our onpage according to that data.
This ensured that we were neither under-optimised or over-optimised for the target keywords. We added structured data to every single landing page and optimised all the pages with POP, CognitiveSEO and applied proven-and-tested best practices.
- Content Marketing - We created supporting content targeting "bottom of funnel" keywords for the landing pages. For example, if a landing page was targeting "self storage Liverpool", we created blog posts that supported that topic such as "moving to Liverpool" and linked back to the target landing page.
The above silo structure allowed us to funnel link equity to the target pages without bombarding it with links while creating linkable assets. These blog posts also ranked and brought traffic too.
- Link Building Outreach - We used Ahrefs to download all of our competitor's backlinks profiles. We then used NinjaOutreach to reach out to those same websites.
Since they were already linking to storage websites, we asked them to include a WhatStorage link too as the platform allowed users to find the best storage unit near.
- The Ahrefs Domain Rating went up to DR 55, making it one of the most authoritative self-storage sites in the UK.
- We earned over 300 editorial links in total.
- The organic traffic is at 30k per month with a PPC value of $334k per month (if bought via Adwords).
- The website is ranking for over 7000 keywords. With over 400 high-value keywords being tracked and averaging at a position of 3.76.
Of course, rankings don't mean anything if the phones aren't ringing! However, WhatStorage receives an average of 1,000 online bookings per month and approximately an equal amount of 1,000 phone calls per month.
With an estimated 30% move-in rate and an average customer LTV (Lifetime-Value) of £1,200, WhatStorage generates millions of £ worth of business for their storage partners!