$334k worth of monthly organic traffic for Self-Storage Marketplace - WhatStorage.
Top 3 positions for 400+ towns and cities across the U.K.
Design, SEO, Link Building
Increase in Organic Traffic
0 to 30k
Top 3 City Rankings
Increase in Monthly Traffic Value
WhatStorage is the UK's largest online self-storage marketplace - it was co-founded, operated, and SEO'd by the team members here at To The Top Agency.
We believe we're the best in the world at what we do. We don’t just sell SEO to clients, we also practice what we preach on our own websites!
Within just 18 months of SEO, we managed to:
- Rank WhatStorage within the Top 3 in over 400 towns and cities.
- Outrank UK's storage giants including Big Yellow and Safestore with a much smaller budget.
- Generate 30,000 Monthly Organic traffic worth over $334,000 in Google Ads value.
- Generate over 20,000 leads from Phone Calls and Email Enquiries.
WhatStorage now has 30% of the storage facilities in the UK on its platform, with the primary source of traffic being Organic Traffic.
Marvin and his team were crucial to the success of WhatStorage's launch. Within just months, our website was able to dominate the search results pages, ranking at the top for every town and city across the UK. Because of the boost in organic traffic, our website was able to generate more leads for our partners.
- Build landing pages for every major town/city in the UK to generate storage leads in those areas.
We had to create location landing pages that were optimized for User Experience, Conversions, and SEO.
- It would be challenging to build backlinks to all of the hundreds of landing pages. We had to ensure that the website architecture was optimized so that the internal 'link equity' flowed efficiently between each landing page.
- This was a brand-new website with zero domain authority (DA); we had to grow the DA quickly by building high-quality backlinks to the website while keeping within Google's guidelines.
To achieve this, we only built high-quality, contextual backlinks while simultaneously building brand signals via social media, reviews, directories, and PR.
- The websites dominating the top 3 positions in the Search Results for the main keywords such as "self storage London" had much higher DA and backlinks.
We had to overcome that deficit quickly without needing to match their domain authority.
- The website contained thousands of pages with a complex build connected to various APIs, we had to ensure that the site was free of any technical errors that might hinder the SEO campaign.
The technical audit checklist includes; mobile responsiveness, page speed, crawlable content, indexing issues, canonical tags and more. Poor indexing and technical issues can dilute the website's overall quality score, which can hurt the rankings.
- Technical SEO - We designed the website architecture to allow for a maximum flow of link equity between the landing pages by creating a good Silo structure through breadcrumbs and internal linking.
We ensured that Google's web crawlers could easily crawl the website by auditing the 404 pages, redirects, internal links, canonical URLs, robots.txt files, and sitemaps.
We avoided keyword cannibalization issues by applying canonical and noindex tags to pages that could have cannibalized the target keywords.
- UX - We designed the User Journey and User Interface of the website through a series of live User Tests and observation of user behavior on the website using Hotjar and Google Analytics.
We created landing pages that was optimized for conversion, but also SEO friendly.
- On-Page Optimization - We created over 400 location landing pages. We used various data correlation tools to check the exact On-Page data of the top competitors and modelled our On-Page structure according to that data.
This ensured that we were neither under-optimized or over-optimized for the target keywords. We added structured data to every landing page and optimized all the pages with Pageoptimizer Pro and applied proven-and-tested best practices.
- Content Marketing - We created supporting content targeting "top of the funnel" keywords for the landing pages. For example, for the Liverpool page targeting the keyword "self storage Liverpool," we created blog posts to support that page, such as "moving to Liverpool".
The above tactic allowed us to rank the supporting content and funneled the link equity to the target pages via internal links.
- Link Building Outreach - We used many link building tactics, including; guest posts, niche edits, PR, HARO, competitor backlinks outreach, skyscraper link building and more.
- The Ahrefs Domain Rating moved up from 0 to DR 55, making it one of the most authoritative self-storage websites in the UK.
- We built over 300 editorial links.
- The organic traffic went from 0 to 30,000 per month with a PPC value of $334,000 per month (if purchased via Google Ads).
- The website is ranking for over 7000 keywords. With over 500 location keywords (e.g "storage london") being tracked and averaging at a position of 3.76.
Of course, rankings doesn't mean much if the phones aren't ringing! However, WhatStorage receives thousands of email and phone call enquiries per month.
WhatStorage now generates millions of pounds worth of business for their storage partners.